Delicious Fish curry in Odisha/ Orissa style
Oriya cuisine is famous for its simplicity and delicate treatment of various ingredients that goes into it.
Although, one must know that even when we opt for preparing in an Oriya style, there are different ways and different recipes under the Oriya style. for example, you can use onions, ginger garlic paste and garam masala to prepare one kind of rohu fish curry, and then there’s other type where you can use mustard sauce for preparing the other type. And the one recipe that we will be sharing here is the most common of all the Oriya recipes.
Ingredients for Fish Curry:
1 kg rohu fish
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp turmeric Powder
For Gravy :
2 medium sized potato
1/2 cup mustard oil
1 medium size onion chopped
1 medium sized onion paste
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4-5 slit green chilies
coriander leaves for garnishing,
2 medium size tomato chopped
whole spices (1 bay leaf,1 stick cinamon,2 green cardamom,2 cloves,2 black pepper)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seed powder,
Red chilly powder
Salt to taste
Garam masala Powder
Procedure to make Fish Curry:
– Wash the fish and marinate by applying turmeric and salt to it..keep fish marinating approx 15 minutes.
– After 15 mins heat mustard oil in pan and after oil comes to its smoking point add fish pieces and shallow fry it.. You can deep fry if you prefer deep frying.
– Cut the potato(one potato should be 4 pieces) and shallow fry it in that same left over oil . Keep aside.
– Now Heat oil in pan.. Take 2-3 tbsp of mustard oil ,after oil gets heated add all whole spices (1 cinnamon stick,1 bay leaf,2-3 pepper,2 cloves,2 green cardamom) . When it starts to release its aroma then add punch Phuran.
– When panch phuran starts crackling add chopped onion and slit green chilly.Keep frying until onions gets a nice golden colour, then add onion paste and fry for 2-3 mins..
– Now add ginger garlic paste to it and mix well. stir and fry the spices till the raw smell is gone .
– Now add chopped tomato and cook for a while .
– Now add all dry spices (coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin powder and salt).
– Mix well , add potato and cook for few minutes .
– Then add a cup of water and cover the lid. and wait for 7-8 minutes . Keep flame on medium high.
– After 7-8 minutes remove lid and check whether potato gets cooked or not. Then add fried fish and cook for another 3-4 minutes approx on low flame.
– Now sprinkle pinch of garam masala and switch off the flame .
– Add chopped coriander leaves (cilantro ) on top .
– You can again cover the lid to get a nice aroma of garam masala and coriander leaf.
– Now our delicious odia style Rohu Fish curry is ready to be served with hot steamed rice.
THIS RECIPE IS PROVIDED TO US BY: Ms. Shilu from Food Swing